Thursday, February 14, 2013

OUT OF MY BLOCK (MOTIVATION)

Lately I've been wondering about my latest novel. It's been on the back on my brain, and having me to ask myself if I really want to finish the darn thing. Well, yes, I do. I do want to finish it; yes I do want to write it.
Over my journey to be a "writer", I've learned that writer's block comes in many different forms. Since I've been question my skills as a writer lately, or a novelist I should say, I find myself unmotivated. I know I have a story to tell and I want to tell it. I'm used to poetry though, a few lines to express an emotion and your done. 
A novel isn't even your emotions. It's digging into this person who's shouting in the back of your head to tell his/or story, only you have to fight the echoes of your own thoughts, of everyone else's thoughts, of the market, agents, editors, publishers oh my. (smile... :) I couldn't resist it) and then the readers, the imaginary readers you hold in your head that you picture buying your books and reading them, hoping they will love it, pretending that only one of them would hate your book because you know that everyone won't love what you do. ha ha ha, you laugh at this lonely person who hates you. But still, in the back of your mind is your character, clawing their way through the crowd of fans, trying to tell his/her story. Meanwhile you get it wrong and the words that come out on page are hogwash because you couldn't hear your characters words right.
So what do I do? I get frustrated.
Then I jam.

This is who I jam to, my writing inspiration. I listen to these people because their voices capture me, their words sing to me and their instruments motivate me.

Emeli Sande: Our Version of Events (album)
  Jill Scott: all
 
Florence and the machines:  all (but right now I love her version of Take Care originally by Drake and Rihanna)

        Jason Mraz: Coyotes (single) Butterfly (single) We sing, We dance, We steal things (album)

         Neon Tress: all (This is a really wicked band. They have yet to create wrong in my eyes.)

   Fun.: Some night (single and album)

Sugarland: all

         Jessie J: Domino(single but she has really great ballads on her album too)

       Bruno Mars: all (but I’m really into When I was Your Man)

       Hunter Hayes: wanted (single but his album is really nice too)

       John Legend: Evolver (album); Get Lifted (album)

         Ben Howard: Every Kingdom (album)

Notable Mentions

       Taylor Swift : I Knew You Were Trouble

        Will.i.am + Brittany Spears: scream and shout

       Adele

      Duffy

        Pink
 
 
 

 
 



 
pictures from FreeDigitalphotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment